Matthew Wright has defended his decision to spend Christmas without his wife or 11 month old daughter.
The TalkRadio host jetted to the Carribean alone for the festive season, leaving Amelia and baby Cassady at home.
After becoming a dad in January last year, Matthew’s solo holiday meant he missed his daughter’s first ever Christmas.
After coming under fire from fans, Matthew , 54, appeared on This Morning today to explain the brave reason why he did it.
Phillip Schofield asked him: “You spent Christmas and New Year alone, in the Caribbean, away from your wife and 11-month-old baby.”
“On you daughter’s first Christmas. Why?” Phil wanted to know.
“It’s difficult…” said Matthew.
“Well I imagine more difficult for your wife,” teased Phil.
Matthew then explained the real reason for the trip was to try and sort his mental health issues.
“I’ve had a lot of mental health issues really over the last year and a half. A friend’s suicide, problems at Channel 5, other personal problems, and there was a story written about me, a fake story about me losing my job just before Christmas and it knocked me sideways.”
“And Amelia just said, you know, ‘What’s the point of you being here not sleeping?”
Matthew said Amelia told him to go away and do something that was good for him.
So Matthew followed his wife’s advice and booked himself two weeks away to enjoy some winter sun.
“And it was good for me,” said Matthew.
However, the former Wright stuff host said when it came to Christmas Day being away from his family hit him hard.
“When it was like Christmas Day I cried my eyes out,” he admitted.
Holly Willoughby then told Matthew “your wife gave you the best Christmas gift, which was your mind.”
“She did indeed,” said Matthew. “And it done me, I’m pleased to say, the power of good.”
Matthew also said he found fishing and walking immensely theraputic.
Matthew hit the headlines in December after false reports he had been sacked from his TalkRadio show.
The broadcaster was said to have been terminated with “immediate effect” but he returned to the airwaves days later to insist there was absolutely no truth to suggests he’d lost his job.
He also revealed TalkRadio bosses handed him a new contract hours before he went on air.
As his show started on December 4, he explained: “Well, well, well.
“Surprise – it’s me here for the next three hours now. Who knows what’s going to happen over the next 180 minutes? What the blazes is going on?
“They said I’d been fired after falling out with producers, not one word of which is true.
“I think that is self-evident.”
Wright went on to thank fans for their support after he was bombarded with messages over the false sacking story.
He also explained he’s just signed a new contract and is not going anywhere any time soon.