Phillip Schofield has insisted that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to “step back” as senior royals “comes down to money”.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made the bombshell announcement on Wednesday night that they are splitting from the royal and will live part-time outside the UK.
The couple did not consult the Queen, Prince Charles or Prince William – and senior royals are said to be “hurt” and “disappointed” by the surprise announcement.
During a discussion on today’s This Morning, royal correspondent Camilla Tominey questioned what the Queen had done to deserve this treatment but admitted the public have pity for the couple’s struggles.
Phillip agreed that the public had sympathy but asked who was going to pay for the pair if they weren’t going to do the job.
He said: “It certainly does and I think an enormous amount of people have sympathy for those parts of it.
“When you look at the papers and online it comes down to money. If you’re not going to do the job then who’s going to pay for it?”
Camilla replied: “I think you say if you want to step down from private life you become fully private individuals. You don’t have any taxpayer money at all.
“You go off to America and make money and good luck to you. You’re celebrities and former royals and that’s how you do it.
“This halfway house is problematic. Are they going to rent Frogmore Cottage after the refurbishments the tax payer paid for? Their bodyguards paid for by the tax payer does, that include when they go out to the US? Who pays for the staff? Do the couple think the public consider that their own public funding?”
They were also joined by royal superfan Anita, who claimed Harry and Meghan’s decision was “rash and really stupid”.
Angry Anita said: “I was gutted actually when I heard last night. I thought everyone knew and it had been discussed and the time in Canada had been a taster.
“The news this morning the Queen is hurt, Charles and William didn’t know, it’s shockimg. It can’t work.”
In a This Morning poll, 63% of viewers said the couple should lose their royal titles.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced the shock news on their Instagram page on Wednesday night.
Their statement read: “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.
“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.
“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.”
The couple went on to discuss their plans to raise son Archie across with an “appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born”, but also giving him space away from the royal bubble.
They said: “This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.
“We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”
*This Morning airs weekdays on ITV at 10am